Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Poppy Parade

Poppy Parade is an "In Color" that will be available until June 2012. When SU! launched the color renovation this July, it was announced that starting this year, "In Color" collections will be available for two years. In July 2011, we will be introduced to 5 more "In Color" choices, that will have their own 2-year term.


When you are playing with color choices in your own stamping room, try to image the color wheel (or find one on the internet or at your local craft store in the painting section). Sometimes I use the Color Coach and a color wheel together to choose pleasing combinations. For example, a classic color combination that always works is a triad using the primary colors: red, yellow, and blue. This Easter card - if you think of the colors on a very basic level - uses that primary triad combination. Of course (on a more sophisticated level) the "red" on this card is a red-orange with red added, the "yellow" on this card is a tint, and the "blue" on this card is a tint of blue-green. Sometimes thinking of all the hues available (and their tints, tones, and shades) can be overwhelming, but if you think of them in basic terms, you might find that choosing great colors to work with isn't so hard after all. Thank goodness Stampin' Up! has taken a lot of the guesswork out of choosing colors by creating the Color Coach. My point in all this rambling??? I just wanted you to know there is a "science" behind the combinations on the back of each card in your Color Coach.
We made this cute card in my Spring/ Easter card class (in March) using the "Creative Combination" colors: Poppy Parade, Baja Breeze, and So Saffron. The image and text are from A Good Egg stamp set.


I really enjoyed making this card. It is different from my usual style, and it felt good to 'step out of the box.' I used the "Sweet set" colors: Poppy Parade, Sahara Sand, and Not Quite Navy. I don't think I would have chosen this combo without the Color Coach suggesting it. I'm glad I tried it :) This layout comes from the March issue of Stampin' Success - a magazine for demonstrators from Stampin' Up!. Each month, there is a card template (or two) featured. At my team meetings, we all bring a 'show & tell' using the template as a guide. This was one of my 'show & tell' items from my April team meeting. I used the Oval All, Perfect Punches, and Tiny Tags stamp sets, along with the 1-3/4"x7/8" Oval, Scallop Oval, and Jewelry Tag punches.


I saved the best for last ;)
Yesterday, I was quite stressed about using the "Dynamic Duo" colors: Poppy Parade and Tangerine Tango. While I appreciate orange hues, they are more difficult for me to be creative with, and this is my third post using Tangerine Tango as 1 of the "Dynamic Duo" colors. So.... I walked away. I started working on my card again this morning, and went a whole new direction. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how this card turned out!!!! I will absolutely be using this card in an upcoming class... or two ;) The Build a Blossom stamp set is perfect for the two-step stampin' technique. The petals are stamped using only Poppy Parade ink. This card is even prettier in person - it's difficult to capture the beauty of the Shimmery White card stock in a photo. The teeny little sentiment is stamped from the Tiny Tags stamp set and punched out with the Jewelry Tag punch. The Poppy Parade Glimmer Brad in the center of the flower is also more loved when seen in real life :)

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...