Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Gorgeous greens

Have you ever made a card with too many layers??? Yeah, me neither... HA!! I just can't help myself when there are so many yummy things to play with. Today's card is no exception:
Aaron's bus driver (one of the sweetest ladies you'll ever meet) asked me to make her a few cards, for events that happen to fall on St. Patrick's Day. This card is for her sister's birthday, so I used color to tie the two celebrations together.

I'm going to take you on a little side trip here, and talk about color for a minute. Yesterday, I mentioned using the Color Coach to help me when I'm stamping, and I wanted to share some design tips related to that.


The Color Coach is held together with a post that screws together. After I got mine, I took it apart and rearranged the cards in "rainbow" order. This makes it easier for me to use my limited "color theory" knowledge. For example, if I want to make a project using the classic Primary color combination, I can easily select the tint or shade of red, yellow, and blue that best fits the style or theme of my project.




Knowing that I wanted to start with green, my project began by selecting three "neighbor" cards in my Color Coach. If I had stopped there, I would have a mono-chromatic color scheme.
But I wanted an extra "zing" since this was for a birthday, so I added a few pops of green's complimentary color - red. (Complimentary colors are directly opposite each other on the color wheel.)



So there's some basic color theory info for you. I love how choosing just the right tint, tone, or shade of a color can add just the right "feeling" to a project  :}

Using the Create a Cupcake stamp set, I stamped the wrapper image in Pear Pizzazz, the frosting image in Certainly Celery, and the sprinkles image in Lucky Limeade. I used the Cupcake Builder punch to punch out those images. I adhered the cupcakes to a layer of Certainly Celery card stock, that has been dry embossed using the Perfect Details Texturz Plate and the Big Shot.
There are a ton of other details, so I'll just note a few... The birthday sentiment is stamped in Lucky Limeade ink onto the same color card stock. I stamped a subtle background onto the 4-1/8"x5-3/8" layer of Pear Pizzazz card stock using Pear Pizzazz ink and a stamp from the Creative Elements stamp set.
Special cards have to be pretty on the inside, too! Plus, it's a good idea to add a light-color layer when your card base (Poppy Parade) is pretty dark. Distressing and sponging the edges of the Very Vanilla card stock adds nice detail. And I just love this sentiment stamp: "It's not about how many candles you blow out but how many cupcakes you get!" Perfect  :}

It's also pretty perfect that the theme for SUO Challenge 39 is "a birthday card." Nothing says "birthday" more than cute cupcakes!
And if you think this card has lots of layers, just you wait! The card I'm posting on Thursday is really over the top!! Thanks for dropping in today  :}

Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. Such a cute birthday card - those cupcakes are adorable! Thanks for joining us at SUO Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog !
    Great photos, thanks for sharing this blog and gift cards .cards is so beautiful and design is so nice.......
    Stock Photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute card! Truly the perfect colors (and now we know WHY we like it so much)!! So glad you joined us at SUO Challenges this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen - I find color theory fascinating. I might have to add taking an "Art 101" class to my Bucket List :)

      Delete
  4. LOVE the ribbon and paper pennants peeking out the side! I am so going to CASE that idea. :D Thanks for joining us a SUO Challenges this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be a perfect St. Patrick's card too! I love all your ribbons!! Thanks for joining SUO Challenges this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The details in this card are just gorgeous! I especially like the way you showed the card off in so many different ways so we can learn from what you did. Thanks for joining with the SUO Challenge design team this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW !! gorgeous click .
    This is nice blog and beautiful photos .Nice deigns , I like it....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...