Monday, January 16, 2012

scrappy fun

I didn't quite know where to start today, so I settled on actually starting in my scrap drawers (and well, let's face it, there were plenty of scraps on my desk that hadn't even been cleaned up yet). I keep a set of small drawers just to the left of my work space, where I organize my scraps by color collection (Brights, Subtles, In Color, etc.) While I am very good about using scraps when working on a project, I don't often start with scraps. Well, today I did just that, and it feels good to use up some "stuff."
I started with the strips of Twitterpated DSP that were accidentally cut crooked in the Big Shot (still sitting on my desk). They couldn't be used for making a medallion, but were just too pretty to throw away... I hope I'm not the only one with this "issue."  ;)  I salvaged the best parts of the strips and layered them on this card. I added a tiny bit of dry embossing to my card front using a Finial Press Embossing Folder that I cut up. Click here to learn more about that technique.
In my "In Color" scrap drawer, I had a large piece of Pear Pizzazz that I had previously stamped and dry embossed with the Snow Burst Embossing Folder, then didn't like how it turned out... again, my issue, I couldn't bring myself to toss such a large piece of quality card stock. I trimmed it up and spritzed it liberally with my mixture of Frost White Shimmer Paint (in rubbing alcohol). To this layer, I attached a Paper Daisy using a Pear Pizzazz Glimmer Brad. I also used the Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch on a tiny scrap of Riding Hood Red card stock, and tucked that behind the Pear Pizzazz layer.
Then I used some of the Pleated Satin Ribbon that I had cut the wrong length for a previous project, that was still taking up valuable real estate in my work space. I trimmed it a bit, and attached it using Sticky Strip.
I used two Blushing Bride scraps to stamp the flower from the new Mixed Bunch stamp set, and then punched out those images using the new Blossom punch. I stamped leaves in Pear Pizzazz ink onto a long, skinny scrap of Pear Pizzazz card stock (stamp set: Build a Blossom / punch: Blossom Petals). I needed one more flower to balance the card, so I punched a scrap of Riding Hood Red card stock with the Blossom Bouquet Triple Layer punch, and stamped in the center with Riding Hood Red ink (Mixed Bunch). These flowers are crumpled to distress them a bit, attached with Dimensionals, and two Twitterpated Buttons add a cute finishing touch.

I am feeling so great about using up a few scraps! Want some more "scrappy" ideas??? Local friends can sign up for January's Technique Tuesday: Oh, Scrap! - register by January 30th to reserve your spot.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...