Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Village of Spooky - the details :)

This is the tallest house at 9-1/2" tall. It's painted with one thin coat of gray acrylic paint. When the paint was dry, I used the flat stamp and Charcoal Ink Spot  (from the Distressing Essentials Kit) to add another layer of color.
I stamped the Good Grid background stamp on the front of the house three times. I didn't want it to stamp "clean" though, so after I inked the stamp in Basic Gray ink, I used a Sponge Dauber to remove some of the ink from the outside edge and some places in the middle.
To create the roof shingles, I used the 1/2" Circle Punch to punch out around 20 each of Old Olive and Cajun Craze card stock, Basic Black Textured card stock, Frightful Sight DSP, and Basic Black DSP from the Patterns DSP Stack (Neutrals Collection). I used Mini Glue Dots® to adhere the circles to the house, starting at the bottom and overlapping the circles a little as I worked towards the top.
I punched three pieces of Frightful Sight DSP with the Petite Pennants Punch, and cut two rectangles (3/8" wide) to make the "BOO" banner. I used my Snips to trim one end of each of the rectangles, and the Paper-Piercing Tool to poke holes at one end of each piece. To add color to the White Baker's Twine, I ran a length of it along a Basic Gray Classic Stampin' Pad. The letters from the Calendar Alphabet & Numbers stamp set are stamped in Basic Black on Old Olive card stock, then punched out using the one of the punches in the Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack.
I used Basic Black Craft Ink and Black Stampin' Emboss® Powder to stamp the spiders from the Scaredy Cat stamp set. It does take longer for the embossing powder to melt on the wood surface than it does on card stock, and the powder does not melt evenly (some "stripes" in the wood took quite a while) so keep a close eye on your project.
I applied Old Olive ink directly to a 3-3/4" x 1-1/4" piece of Wood Sheet. A Metallic Brad creates the door handle.
To create the window, I stamped the spider web image from the Spooky Bingo Bits stamp set in Staz-On® ink onto Vellum card stock, and punched that out with the 1" Circle Punch. To make the frame, I punched Basic Black card stock with the 3/4" Circle Punch, and then centered the 1" Circle Punch around the hole to punch a "ring."
The mustached Jack-o-lanterns from the Out on a Limb stamp set are the perfect finishing touch. I stamped them in Basic Black onto Cajun Craze card stock, snipped them out, and attached them to the house using Dimensionals.


This house is almost 8" tall, and is painted with one thin coat of green acrylic paint. (I had to mix two shades of green to get the shade of olive that I wanted.) When the paint was dry, I used the flat stamp and Mahogany Ink Spot to add another layer of color.
Cajun Craze ink is applied directly to a piece of Wood Sheet cut to 1-1/2" x 2-3/4". The hinges are Mini Library Clips with the "prongs" cut off after clipping them to the door. The door is attached with Sticky Strip. After attaching the door, I used Multipurpose Liquid Glue to adhere a pin from Vintage Trinkets to create a door handle.
The "spooky" sentiment from the Wicked Cool stamp set is stamped in Basic Black onto Basic Gray card stock. I sponged Cajun Craze ink around the edges, snipped banner tips into one end, folded the card stock, and attached a Basic Black Brad. The banner is attached to the house with Dimensionals.
The bats from the Wicked Cool stamp set are heat embossed on one side using Basic Black Craft ink and Black Stampin' Emboss® Powder. The roof is a 7-1/2" x 1-5/8" strip of Frightful Sight DSP. It is simply glued to the top of the house with Multipurpose Liquid Glue.
The medallion is so easy to make! Just use the new Simply Scored to score a 1" x 12" strip of DSP every 1/4". Then accordion fold the strip. I cut one 1/4" section off from one end and glued the ends together with Multipurpose Liquid Glue. I like to punch out a circle base and use a good amount of Multipurpose Liquid Glue to attach the medallion. The center of the medallion is made from three layers of Basic Black Textured card stock punched with the Doily Triple Layer Punch. A gorgeous brad from the Antique Brads is through two layers. Those two layers are attached to the bottom layer with Dimensionals, and the bottom layer is attached to the medallion with Multipurpose Liquid Glue.


 The smallest house is almost 6" tall. I mixed two colors of acrylic paint to get the "cajun" shade I wanted. When it was dry, I used the flat stamp and Mahogany Ink Spot to add another layer of color.
The Wood Sheet door measures 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" and is "colored" with Basic Gray ink. I used Mini Library Clips again to make door hinges, and a Bitty Button makes the door handle.
The bats from the Out on a Limb stamp set are heat embossed under the Wood Sheet planter box. The flowers are punched from Basic Black Textured card stock. After attaching them to the house with Mini Glue Dots®, I used Moonlight Smooch® Pearlized Accent Ink to create the flower centers.
The roof is a 1-7/16" x 5" strip of Frightful Sight DSP, adhered to the house with Multipurpose Liquid Glue. Three layers of Old Olive Textured card stock punched with the Doily Triple Layer Punch, as well as a 1/2" circle punched from Cajun Craze card stock and a Bitty flower shape punched from Basic Black Textured card stock create the accent on the roof.

While it did take a lot of supplies to make these houses, it was so much fun to do. I am so glad I had a chance to make this into a class! Now, should I try my hand at some Christmas houses???   ;)

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...